[ckan-discuss] New name for ckan.net: call for proposals

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Sun Nov 21 23:06:29 GMT 2010

On 20 Nov 2010, at 13:13, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> Speaking with people about CKAN.net over the last year it has been
> clear that the name CKAN / Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network
> does a poor job describing what the site does (it's far too geeky and
> hard to spell!)

I'd say the name ckan is fine. Let's simply forget that it's an acronym.

> Related to this, thought on a better 'tagline' describing the purpose
> of ckan.net is also needed (and any general thoughts on what people
> think the core purpose is that this tagline should capture).
> Suggestions please!

My thoughts on what ckan.net should aim to become:

A directory of all machine-readable datasets available on the web,
supporting a number of functions:

1. finding datasets

2. informing about the data -- what have others done with it, what
problems did they find etc

3. connecting people who work with that data

4. collecting resources/scripts/applications/documentation related to
the datasets

5. automation of common tasks, such as notification, archival,
updates, provision of converted versions

It already does a decent job at 1 and 2.

Best,
Richard