[ckan-discuss] New name for ckan.net: call for proposals

Javier de la Cueva jdelacueva at derecho-internet.org
Mon Nov 22 22:35:04 GMT 2010

El 22/11/10 23:17, Rufus Pollock escribió:
> On 21 November 2010 17:46, Ed Summers <ehs at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>>> Speaking with people about CKAN.net over the last year it has been
>>> clear that the name CKAN / Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network
>>> does a poor job describing what the site does (it's far too geeky and
>>> hard to spell!)
>>
>> Personally, I always loved the name CKAN. But I was a Perl hacker in
>> another life. Even though I don't use Perl much anymore I remain a
>> huge fan of how the CPAN community worked.
>>
>> I always hoped to see CKAN embrace the (A)rchive function a bit more,
>> by actually starting to archive data, and not just being a directory
>> to where datasets live elsewhere. If there aren't any plans to do that
>> anymore I guess a name change might be important.

My 2 cents: Apple and Windows for computers or Mercedes for cars show
that names are not so important.

Related to linking or hosting archives, difference can be very important
when treating with certain kinds of information and being the target of
legal threats or C & D letters. It is better only to link.

[...]

> Possible new simpler tagline:
>
> A place to find, reuse and share data

A place to find, reuse, share and open data

> Who: data hackers/geeks/mungers (another area we need a new name,
> perhaps 'datar' (!) -- corresponding to code-r)

Difficult if thinking in i18n :-)

--
Javier de la Cueva