[ckan-discuss] CKAN for LLD

William Waites ww at eris.okfn.org
Mon Nov 22 15:59:52 GMT 2010

Firstly, my belated regrets for missing the LLD conference call last
week, I was in London at the Open Government Data Camp (but that's no
excuse for not sending a note, my apologies).

Following the previous meeting I was supposed to write up some of what
was talked about for using CKAN to catalogue library data sets. Some
may recall the brief presentation [1] that I gave.

I'm copying the ckan-discuss list because one of the major practices
involves having a way to standardise on tags/extras/keys/predicates.
CKAN doesn't enforce these in any way but in order for the dataset
descriptions to be consistent and intelligible we need to do
this. Richard Cyganiak et al. have done this for the lod cloud group
and for the LLD group I think we should follow this example. In terms
of wider use of CKAN it would be a good idea to have e.g. wiki pages
that describe the recommended keys to use for best results, elaborated
by the community (cf horse=yes).

There was a question, I believe from Gordon, who wondered about the
nature of groups. They are many-to-many relations with datasets, so
there is nothing stopping one dataset being a member of many groups.

There was some question about which group to use. There is already a
group for bibliographic data, some of the members of the LLD XG are
already admins. However this group is for bibliographic data generally
not linked bibliographic data. Likewise there are the lod [3] and
lodcloud [4] groups. Neither are specific to bibliographic data and
the latter has strict criteria for membership which not all linked
bibliographic datasets may satisfy.

So the proposal is to create a LLD group -- in fact I've already done
so, those interested in administering it, please mail me privately
with your openid credentials and I will add you. Proposed policy of
the group:

 * All packages in the LLD group will also be members of the
   bibliographic group

 * Some packages in the LLD group will also be members of the LOD and
   LOD Cloud groups (it may be that not all packages in LLD are open)

 * Packages should use the LOD Cloud guidelines [5] where applicable

 * Conventions for keys/predicates used specifically in the LLD group
   should be documented at [6]

Cheers,
-w

[1] http://eris.okfn.org/ww/2010/11/ckanlld