[ckan-discuss] Multiple package schemas

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Wed Oct 6 18:07:22 BST 2010

Hi David,

Good proposal. I think this would work very well for the LOD use case.

It is important to make sure that the package type really just affects
the display of the form, and that changing the type doesn't actually
affect any data. Care has to be taken to communicate that in the UI as
well.

There is a potential pitfall. For some packages, the correct type
would not be obvious. For example, some of the data.gov.uk packages
might conceivably use the LOD form, and a hypothetical custom “UK
government data” form. With the proposed solution, users would
probably be tempted to create two different packages for what is
essentially the same data.

One way around this would be to make the custom forms *extensions* of
the default form. In that case, the edit page for our data.gov.uk
package would show the default form, and below that the LOD extended
form, and below that the UK Gov extended form. The problem though is
that the LOD form would probably “modify” some default form field,
e.g., seed the Resources/Format field with a selection of default
values (api/sparql, application/rdf+xml and so on).

But maybe that is just an unlikely corner case.

Best,
Richard