[ckan-discuss] Plugins, new version (was: Re: Death to Blinker)

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Tue Oct 19 17:25:30 BST 2010

Friedrich,

Great stuff! Looking through the changesets these seem to be nice
simple ways to expose hooks to some fundamental parts of CKAN for
plugins.

We do lose the common interface between sync and async notifications,
in favour of the basic mapping extension interface for sync
notifications, but that wouldn't be hard to add in again in the
future, should we want that flexibility.

Just a couple of small questions:
* Is it worth adding package forms to these interfaces?
* Is it worth adding versioning to these interfaces now?
* Will you provide tests and docs before this goes into default?

David

On 18 October 2010 20:33, Friedrich Lindenberg <friedrich at pudo.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to call for some review on this refactoring in its current stage (it is implementing a very simple 2nd iteration of the plugin architecture and removed some complexity regarding queue notifications):
>
> http://bitbucket.org/pudo/ckan/changeset/7e6f48a91222
> http://bitbucket.org/pudo/ckan/changeset/993e47e61b5f
>
> Although its currently implemented without any external dependencies (indeed removing the need for blinker), I could imagine pulling in this library before pushing to main:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyutilib.component.core/
>
> This would then implement most of Rufus' original CEP 003, http://okfnpad.org/ckan-plugins
>
> Opinions?
>
>  Friedrich

>>> Nope, it's discussed as one part of the original plugins proposal :)
>>
>> Ah, thanks for the reference.
>>

>>> <http://ckan.okfnpad.org/plugins>
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> 3. Trac Component Architecture