[ckan-discuss] CKAN coordination

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sat Sep 4 22:36:40 BST 2010

dear all,

The expansion of CKAN is a marvel, lots of international versions, at
least 2 other serious projects now using CKAN as a backend, CKAN is now
even powering the Linked Open Data Cloud diagram, how cool:
http://blog.okfn.org/2010/09/03/next-version-of-the-linked-open-data-cloud-based-on-ckan/

So there's lots to do. I've started making a list:
http://wiki.okfn.org/coord/ckan

I don't know if this is useful? What i want to achieve with this list is
to identify areas where CKAN could use more support to help it scale -
should OKF be hiring a part-time project manager, or a part-time
sysadmin, or both, to help out CKAN? If so, can we estimate the time
commitment and thus estimate the budget involved? How many of these
tasks are do-once-then-run, how many need ongoing looking at?

Does CKAN have a Project Steering Committee or moral equivalent? E.g. a
defined group of committers who share responsibility for major decisions
about the code-base? This is something Paula le Dieu has suggested OKFn
projects ought to be doing; for OSGeo having a PSC is non-negotiable for
becoming a Foundation project.

with love,

jo