[ckan-discuss] [okfn-coord] CKAN coordination

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Sep 7 19:18:22 BST 2010

On 4 September 2010 22:36, Jo Walsh <jo at frot.org> wrote:
> dear all,
>
> The expansion of CKAN is a marvel, lots of international versions, at least
> 2 other serious projects now using CKAN as a backend, CKAN is now even
> powering the Linked Open Data Cloud diagram, how cool:
> http://blog.okfn.org/2010/09/03/next-version-of-the-linked-open-data-cloud-based-on-ckan/
>
> So there's lots to do. I've started making a list:
> http://wiki.okfn.org/coord/ckan

Thanks Jo, this is extraordinarily useful. I've added a specific
project-manager type job-description related to that page at the
bottom.

> I don't know if this is useful? What i want to achieve with this list is to
> identify areas where CKAN could use more support to help it scale - should
> OKF be hiring a part-time project manager, or a part-time sysadmin, or both,
> to help out CKAN? If so, can we estimate the time commitment and thus
> estimate the budget involved? How many of these tasks are do-once-then-run,
> how many need ongoing looking at?

We are already started looking into getting a project-manager type to
assist in CKAN-related work (esp. re data.gov.uk). Just added a proper
description to the wiki page.

> Does CKAN have a Project Steering Committee or moral equivalent? E.g. a
> defined group of committers who share responsibility for major decisions
> about the code-base? This is something Paula le Dieu has suggested OKFn
> projects ought to be doing; for OSGeo having a PSC is non-negotiable for
> becoming a Foundation project.

This seems very sensible. I suggest that we get a defined PSC set up
over the next month or so.

Open Knowledge Foundation