[ckan-discuss] A few quick thoughts on data catalogue usability

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Tue Sep 21 10:46:18 BST 2010

Tim,

Many thanks for your reflections on Government data and CKAN in
particular. I look forward to digesting the report at leisure, but
I'll quickly take on your specific comments about CKAN now.

Trackback links - that's a good idea in the 'social' vein. We've
experimented with comments, wikis, forums, ratingz etc., and this is
another one for us to try. I've added a ticket for it:
http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/trac/ticket/653

Easier wiki editing - I think this stems from the form looking being
quite different to the resulting package. Having a button to add some
info looks like it would only apply to the resources table which we
could do as a one off, but might just make the package view more
complicated. If people are worried by where/how to insert their new
data into the structure then maybe we should provide more help text,
or perhaps they should simply leave it in an unstructured comment?

Relationships - we're working on exactly this! Watch this space.

David