[ckan-discuss] Next version of the LOD cloud diagram. Please provide input, so that your dataset is included.

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sat Sep 25 11:47:23 BST 2010

On 23 September 2010 06:18, Ed Summers <ehs at pobox.com> wrote:
> It was awesome to see that the new LOD Cloud leverages data in CKAN. I
> really like the idea of driving more people to documenting Linked Data
> packages on CKAN in order to get their content into the LOD Cloud.
>
> I have been doing a bit of playing around with the Protovis JavaScript
> library recently to visualize owl:sameAs links in the Billion Triple
> Challenge dataset [1]. It's pretty easy to use, at least in the

That's fantastic. I've been *really* impressed by protovis and that's
a really nice usage of their force directed layout!

(I've been using protovis for where does my money go sutff e.g.:
<http://www.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/wdmmg-js/src/sunburst.html>)

> simplistic way I have been playing around with it. I thought it would
> be fun to use the same approach to graphing the LOD Cloud using the
> CKAN API. So I went and did it [2]. The fact that it only took an hour
> or so was all due to the way you have leveraged CKAN, and CKAN's
> lovely REST API.

Thanks :)

> While processing the data I think I noticed 50 packages in the
> lodcloud group which referenced other CKAN packages
> (package['extras']['links:*'] in the json) that were not also in the
> lodcloud group. I didn't actually dig in to see if they are definitely
> on CKAN, but at least a few of them already were. I haven't been
> following the earlier discussion too closely, to know if this is
> already a known issue. I'd be willing to help add the packages to the
> lodcloud group if you are looking for an extra set of hands.

Richard's answered on this so I won't add anything (plus he's the expert!).

[...]

Regards,

rufus