[ckan-discuss] Followup from Today's Community Call

Brand Niemann bniemann at cox.net
Fri Apr 8 07:55:56 BST 2011

Community Coordinators are invaluable: See 5th paragraph at
http://semanticommunity.info/Build_SEMIC.EU_in_the_Cloud#Lessons_Learned_fro
m_SICoP_and_Semantic_Community

It was suggested I look at the following:

http://blog.okfn.org/2011/02/11/as-coder-is-for-code-x-is-for-data/

I say Data Scientist - see http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science and
train people in Data Science - see

http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science_Class_Fall_2010

http://blog.okfn.org/2011/03/31/building-the-open-data-ecosystem/

I say "spot on" - see my efforts to harvest, add-value (data science) and
educate (convert) at

http://semanticommunity.info/A_Gov_2.0_spin_on_archiving_2.0_data

http://blog.okfn.org/writings/componentization-and-open-data/

"Spot on" again - see my efforts on Data Science Products at

http://semanticommunity.info/#Data_Science_Products

some with "complete package" (all 10 topics that can be used as an article
or presentation) - http://semanticommunity.info/EPA/EPA_CASTNET

and others with just the essentials to save the data -
http://semanticommunity.info/Build_Recovery.gov_in_the_Cloud

http://opendatasearch.org/

Yes, and search my entire corpus at http://semanticommunity.info/

and Data.gov, etc. - http://semanticommunity.info/Data.gov

and all data catalogs -
http://semanticommunity.info/Data.gov/An_Open_Data_Public_Dataset_Catalogs_F
aceted_Browser

and drill down from the data catalogs to the "best data" that can actually
be integrated in a meaningful way (science, statistics, policy) for use by
decision makers

http://rdf.opendatasearch.org/crawl_cache/

Yes, and enable SPARQL queries to get CSV for the vast majority of users
that can't use SPARQL now or ever!

http://ckan.net/

Create a dataset/package called ... usa-gov-opendata-sites

My attempts to Login failed again like with the Typepad yesterday and Lucy
is checking into this problem for me.

http://wiki.ckan.net/Data_Formats

Excellent resource! I will use this for:

http://semanticommunity.info/Data.gov/An_Open_Data_Public_Dataset_Catalogs_F
aceted_Browser

Goal: Standard for a Data Catalog that supports Meaningful Data Integration
- Pilot for SEMIC.EU Keynote

Thank you for the opportunity to collaborate!

Brand