[ckan-discuss] Followup from Today's Community Call

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Fri Apr 8 11:42:20 BST 2011

Dear Brand,

Great to talk to you yesterday and thank you for the links and your
emails, we are really looking forward to working with you!

We'd love to get the usa-gov-opendata-sites dataset created in CKAN,
so I am keen to help you overcome your login difficulties. Could I ask
what message is displayed when you try and register so that I can look
into it further for you? Or have you managed to register, but just
can't login?

Please feel free to reply to just me for this query so that I can
follow it up with you off-list, you can send me as many emails as you
need!

Best wishes,

Lucy

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Brand Niemann <bniemann at cox.net> wrote:
> Community Coordinators are invaluable: See 5th paragraph at
> http://semanticommunity.info/Build_SEMIC.EU_in_the_Cloud#Lessons_Learned_from_SICoP_and_Semantic_Community
>

> It was suggested I look at the following:
>

> http://blog.okfn.org/2011/02/11/as-coder-is-for-code-x-is-for-data/
>
> I say Data Scientist – see http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science and
> train people in Data Science – see
>
> http://semanticommunity.info/Data_Science_Class_Fall_2010
>

> http://blog.okfn.org/2011/03/31/building-the-open-data-ecosystem/
>
> I say “spot on” – see my efforts to harvest, add-value (data science) and
> educate (convert) at
>
> http://semanticommunity.info/A_Gov_2.0_spin_on_archiving_2.0_data
>

> http://blog.okfn.org/writings/componentization-and-open-data/
>
> “Spot on” again – see my efforts on Data Science Products at
>
> http://semanticommunity.info/#Data_Science_Products
>

> some with “complete package” (all 10 topics that can be used as an article
> or presentation) - http://semanticommunity.info/EPA/EPA_CASTNET
>
> and others with just the essentials to save the data -
> http://semanticommunity.info/Build_Recovery.gov_in_the_Cloud
>

> http://opendatasearch.org/
>
> Yes, and search my entire corpus at http://semanticommunity.info/
>
> and Data.gov, etc. - http://semanticommunity.info/Data.gov
>
> and all data catalogs -
> http://semanticommunity.info/Data.gov/An_Open_Data_Public_Dataset_Catalogs_Faceted_Browser
>
> and drill down from the data catalogs to the “best data” that can actually
> be integrated in a meaningful way (science, statistics, policy) for use by
> decision makers
>

> http://rdf.opendatasearch.org/crawl_cache/
>
> Yes, and enable SPARQL queries to get CSV for the vast majority of users
> that can’t use SPARQL now or ever!
>

> http://ckan.net/
>
> Create a dataset/package called ... usa-gov-opendata-sites
>
> My attempts to Login failed again like with the Typepad yesterday and Lucy
> is checking into this problem for me.
>

> http://wiki.ckan.net/Data_Formats
>
> Excellent resource! I will use this for:
>

> http://semanticommunity.info/Data.gov/An_Open_Data_Public_Dataset_Catalogs_Faceted_Browser
>
> Goal: Standard for a Data Catalog that supports Meaningful Data Integration
> - Pilot for SEMIC.EU Keynote
>

> Thank you for the opportunity to collaborate!
>

> Brand

Lucy Chambers
Community Coordinator
Open Knowledge Foundation