[ckan-discuss] CKAN for humans?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Apr 27 14:19:11 BST 2011

On 27 April 2011 02:10, Tim McNamara <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz> wrote:
> I think that CKAN is probably one of the best tools around to index data
> sources. However, there seems to be a diaspora of places where individuals
> are seeking information about datasets. As a sample, consider Hacker
> News[1], Quora[2], Del.icio.us[3].

And together with Tony Hirst we started: <http://getthedata.org/> back
in January which we are gradually seeking to integrate (e.g. register
something in CKAN directly from GetTheData, list GetTheData mentions
on CKAN pages etc).

Aside: looking back to when we started I think starting with the Q&A
might have been the better approach :-)

> Does CKAN need to be more accessible to humans? Or is it okay that people
> use other tools?

Yes, CKAN needs to be more accessible to humans.

At the same time people will look for and find data by a lot of routes
and unless we're thinking of replacing Google I think we should accept
that. This is similar with software: I look on 'google' or some Q&A
site but I end up at Debian package page or google code or bitbucket
or github (or even the author's home page).