[ckan-discuss] Some help on CKAN translation needed

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Thu Aug 4 15:26:19 BST 2011

On 3 August 2011 12:13, alexey medvetsky <a.medvetsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We have almost completed the Russian translation of CKAN interface and need

Great to hear it!!

> some help before testing it. Could someone please explain shortly the
> difference between these terms:
>
> 1. Entity vs. Object. - E.g. "Cannot list entity of this type" and "Create
> object". Proposal: translate both as "object" (объект).

These mean the same thing. We use RESTful language 'entity' in the
RESTful API and 'object' in the logic layer which deals in them as
objects, so there is some sense in the English.

> 2. Package vs. Dataset. - E.g. "The licence under which the dataset is
> released". Proposal: translate both as "package" (пакет).

The 'dataset' is registered in a 'package' (or more accurately, a
'resource' contained in a 'package'), so I think it is correct to say
talk about the 'dataset license' in the 'package'. How about 'data
license' - is that translatable?

> 3. Registry vs. Repository. - E.g. "CKAN Repository Revision History" and
> "CKAN combines the features of a listing/registry". Proposal: use them as
> synonyms?

We refer to CKAN as a repository, registry, listing - I agree we
should standardise on one. There was a recent discussion on which was
the best word, but I can't find right now - can anyone help?

David