[ckan-discuss] LOD2 & Open Cities meetup today

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Tue Jan 11 18:36:30 GMT 2011

Dear all,

I just a quick note from a meeting of the two projects LOD2[1] and Open Cities[2]  that attended today at Fraunhofer FOKUS in Berlin together with Sören Auer.

The Open Cities project is a EU funded project with a Consortium is composed by 15 partners encompassing 5 European member states and 5 major cities: Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris, Helsinki and Barcelona. The project coordinator ESADE Business School from Barcelona.

One of the work packages is to actually develop a open data portal for the cities involved with the idea to help build a pan-european open data infrastructure. The interesting part is that they are very interested in evaluating and using the LOD2 software stack.

Even more interesting is the fact that by 2011 they are going to evaluate and bundle a solution for a open data portal for Berlin first and the other 4 cities and... they are actually looking closely at CKAN to be registry in that bundle. To me this looks like exciting news meaning that by the end of this year we might see 5 major european cities using CKAN as part of their open data portal.

As for the OKFN I mentioned we would be very happy to assist on this where needed. I hope that was in common interest.

So far. Sören is going to write some notes from the meeting to the LOD2 mailing list.

Kind regards
Daniel

1. http://lod2.eu/
2. http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/livinglabs/docs/open_cities_pub.pdf