[ckan-discuss] CKAN.net already "the Data Hub"?

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Jul 6 06:42:54 BST 2011

I've just noticed that CKAN's logo has been completely replaced by "the Data
Hub" at CKAN.net. I didn't think that this was decided. It's a real step
backwards for several reasons:

 - SEO - there are many data hubs already out there
 - trade mark registrability - it's a fairly non-distinctive mark, and would
be very expensive to prosecute* or enforce
 - trade mark infringement - several companies very litigious in the IP area
are already using "data hub" marks in trade

I think it's a great idea to move CKAN.net away from its current name.
However, there needs to be more thought into the trade mark that the OKF
wishes to establish if it wants to be the central source for data
worldwide.

Tim McNamara
Professional \\  paperlessprojects.com
Personal \\  @timClicks <http://twitter.com/timClicks>  |  timmcnamara.co.nz

* a trade mark prosecution is a registration