[ckan-discuss] CKAN.net already "the Data Hub"?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Jul 6 11:00:27 BST 2011

On 6 July 2011 06:42, Tim McNamara <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz> wrote:
> I've just noticed that CKAN's logo has been completely replaced by "the Data
> Hub" at CKAN.net. I didn't think that this was decided. It's a real step

Pretty much everyone was +1 on it and those that weren't +1 have not
offered an alternative as yet :-)

> backwards for several reasons:
>
>  - SEO - there are many data hubs already out there

Right but we are agreed that we need to move from ckan.net and 'CKAN'
for this. I also note that http://ckan.net has had the the Data Hub in
its tagline for the last year or so and is currently no.2 on google
for a search of the "the data hub"

>  - trade mark registrability - it's a fairly non-distinctive mark, and would
> be very expensive to prosecute* or enforce

At the moment at least we haven't got plans to trademark this and try
and enforce against anyone :-)

>  - trade mark infringement - several companies very litigious in the IP area
> are already using "data hub" marks in trade

I really don't see why we can't use the domain name we've registered
and name we've discussed on list just because other people use
it/might use it/might be litigious. Plus we were already using "the
Data Hub" in our tagline.

[...]