[ckan-discuss] Report from Nigel Shadboldt on data.gov.eu

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Jul 6 18:26:40 BST 2011

And this post from Glyn Moody pulls out some useful bits and pieces:

http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/open-enterprise/2011/07/data-portals-become-fashionable-should-we-be-worried/index.htm

Strongly suggest at least one person from CKAN team at least skims
Nigel's full report at some point - to pull out relevant bits and
pieces! Useful to read a report on what data.gov.uk does well - and
opportunities for expansion and improvement.

E.g. things like (from p. 16):

  * Similar users also downloaded.. Amazon style recommendations. Some
users will have a longer and more interactive experience with the
portal than others. The system can provide assistance to naïve users
or newcomers by correlating their profiles with expert users using
features of the resources they search for, records they view, and the
datasets they download. This implicit collaboration of expert with
inexperienced users will certainly help individuals to mine resources
that are not readily available or ranked high on their search results.
Recommendations of this type may be delivered in the form of “see what
similar users are searching”, or while the user is viewing a specific
record.
  * Recommendations of similar datasets for locations nearby the
user’s specific geography. This can be employed on a perErecord
recommendation basis i.e. offer the recommendation while the user is
viewing a specific record.
  * Popular and featured datasets presented on the main page.
  * Supporting network formation of “people like me” is another
recommendation method that is widely and successfully used.

All the best,

Jonathan