[ckan-discuss] s/package/data set/g

Anna Powell-Smith annapowellsmith at okfn.org
Tue Jul 26 10:49:55 BST 2011

"package" certainly confused me. To the point where, the first time I
tried to use CKAN, I confidently told Rufus that there was no way to
add datasets.

Though I see the concerns about using "dataset" when you are really
dealing with metadata. Again I only worked out recently that packages
were actually metadata.

Perhaps you could fix this by changing the verb as well as the noun:
"List a dataset" rather than "Add a dataset"? And on the
list-a-dataset page, an intro sentence explaining what the heck this
actually means.

Currently, there is a proliferation of vocabulary, which I've noticed
is very characteristic of CKAN - for all the right reasons, to do with
diversity, I know!

Imagine you are a new user, looking through the menu from left to right:

* Home: "dataset collections"
* Search: (RHS) "dataset" and "package" both used, both "add" and "register"
* Add a package: nearly a full house - "data package", "data set",
"package" and "dataset"
* Upload data: redirect, red banner, "Not authorized to upload files"

I would pick one term and stick with it remorselessly, whatever it is.

Of course, this should really be part of a wider UX project :)

>>> http://linkeddata.deri.ie/