[ckan-discuss] Hello World!

Kendra K. Levine klevine at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 6 19:18:42 BST 2011

On 6 June 2011 05:37, James Gardner <james at 3aims.com> wrote:

> Hi Kendra,
>

>  Just to add to this, Kendra was interested in getting involved with
>> curating the collection of data catalogues that will be pulled into
>> datacatalogs.org.
>>

> Welcome! That would be great.
>
> As you might know, our plan for the very first edition of the
> datacatlogs.org site is to re-use the CKAN package form for the catalog
> information so the first task is to define precisely which fields we want to
> store for each catalog.
>
> Could you look at the existing package form at http://ckan.net/package/newand decide which are still important for catalogs and which extra ones we'd
> need? I'm imaging we'll use resources as URLs to the different way the
> catalog can be accessed eg "Web interface", "RDF API", "JSON API" etc

I think adding a field to capture how the catalog can be accessed would be
very useful. Further down the road it could be interesting to do some work
with the tags, to establish a taxonomy (I'm a librarian, everything goes
back to taxonomies, or ontologies) for easier browsing and faceted
searching.

>  James: how close are we to closing out on the features we wanted to be
>> able to run datacatalogs.org?
>>

> The difficult one was always going to be the moderation facility and that
> is coming on well. I've spoken to John Glover (one of the CKAN devs) and he
> is finishing up the interface for CKAN moderation this week and will
> hopefully start work on the customisations for datacatalogs.orgimplementation next week.

I'm interested in learning more about datacatalogs.org What platform are you
using for it?

> I suggest we kick off by all meeting up on Skype? Can we arrange a call for
> tomorrow at 11:30am UK time between:
>
> Jonathan
> Kendra
> John
> Myself
> and Tim if you want to join us?
>
> What is your Skype name Kendra?

My Skype name is  kendra.k.levine Would it be possible to meet a bit later?
Say 2:30 or 3:00 UK time? Otherwise I'll set my alarm clock.

> Eventually we'll also want to integrate the map here:
> http://datos.fundacionctic.org/sandbox/catalog/faceted/
>
> Cheers,
>
> James

Kendra

>  All the best,
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>> [1] http://ckan.net/package?q=&tags=package-type.catalog
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Kendra K. Levine
>> <klevine at library.berkeley.edu>  wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings! I just contacted Jonathan about getting involved with CKAN and
>>> the Open Knowledge Foundation and he suggested I introduce myself here.
>>> So,
>>> hello!
>>>
>>> I'm a (recently laid off) librarian who has worked a lot with university
>>> researchers and transportation agencies in the US. I've mostly been
>>> involved
>>> with convincing agencies to be more open with their data so that
>>> researchers
>>> could access it, but now I'd like to be more hands on with data. I look
>>> forward to being a part of this.
>>>
>>> Kendra
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kendra K. Levine
>>> http://kklinfo.com
>>> http://libraryattack.com
>>> @tranlib

Kendra K. Levine
Research, Outreach and Web Services Librarian.
Institute of Transportation Studies Library
412 McLaughlin Hall, UC Berkeley
Berkeley CA 94720-1720
http://library.its.berkeley
@tranlib