[ckan-discuss] Proposed metadata standards for datacatalogs.org

Martin Alvarez-Espinar martin.alvarez at fundacionctic.org
Tue Jun 14 10:13:26 BST 2011

Hello Kendra,

Thanks for the work you are doing. Please, let me add some input on it.

I suppose that the following properties/classes should have the "dcat"
[1] namespace:
  dct:distribution
  dct:feed
  dct:WebService
  dct:AccessURL

Please, note that dcat:accessURL has the first character lowercase.

In dcat, "distributions" are used to specify different formats of each
dataset. The distribution may have a type to define the kind of resource
(WebService, Feed, or Download).

During the meeting in Edinburgh we discussed about a new property to
indicate if either the access to the data is direct (the data is after
the accessURL), or indirect (the accessURL is a page with information
about how to get the data, such as documentation about a Web Service;
also if the downloadable file is compressed). I find it very useful.

Best regards,

Martin

[1]
http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/Data_Catalog_Vocabulary/Vocabulary_Reference#Property:_access.2Fdownload

On 13/06/11 16:04, Kendra K. Levine wrote:
> Hello! I've been working on the metadata standards for datacatalogs.org
> <http://datacatalogs.org> and am very eager for some feedback. You can
> look at the proposed terms here: http://goo.gl/Gt32T
> <http://goo.gl/Gt32T> I've also posted about it on the OFKN notebook.
> http://notebook.okfn.org/2011/06/13/proposed-metadata-standards-for-datacatalogs-org/
>
> Kendra
>
> --
> Kendra K. Levine
> Librarian and then some.
> http://kklinfo.com
> http://libraryattack.com
> @tranlib
> <http://library.its.berkeley>

Martín Álvarez Espinar

Fundación CTIC
Parque Científico y Tecnológico de Gijón
c/ Ada Byron, 39 Edificio Centros Tecnológicos
33203 Gijón - Asturias - España
Tel.: +34 984 29 12 12
Fax: +34 984 39 06 12
E-mail: martin.alvarez at fundacionctic.org