[ckan-discuss] Starting to populate datacatalogs.org

Martin Alvarez-Espinar martin.alvarez at fundacionctic.org
Thu Jun 23 14:35:47 BST 2011

Hello John,

I think that all these metadata are right, but if we liked representing
the information about catalogs on a map we would need the coordinates of
the spatial coverage.

I suppose we could use the spatial field, but it can be input as
ambiguous text. The spatial code is enough for the country, but we
cannot represent a region or city. If we specify coordinates to
represent the spatial coverage, the development of mashups will be easier.

In CTIC's catalog, we use another approach. We rely on geonames to
identify the places with just an URI. I know that this could be more
complex.

What do you think?

Best,

Martin

On 22/06/11 18:56, John Glover wrote:
> Descriptions of each field in the spreadsheet that Jonathan linked to
> can be found here:
> http://ec2-46-51-149-132.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:8081/catalog/new
>

> John
>
> On 22 June 2011 17:50, Jonathan Gray<jonathan.gray at okfn.org>  wrote:
>> John, Martin: could you guys add your data catalogue metadata to the
>> spreadsheet below in the format shown? Please let me know either way
>> at your earliest convenience so we can make sure and stay on schedule
>> for the launch next week!
>>
>> http://bit.ly/datacatalogs_org
>>
>> And could you also send me high resolution copies of your logos for
>> the about page? I'm going to email a few other people about being
>> official partners for this now.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Jonathan

Martín Álvarez Espinar

Fundación CTIC
Parque Científico y Tecnológico de Gijón
c/ Ada Byron, 39 Edificio Centros Tecnológicos
33203 Gijón - Asturias - España
Tel.: +34 984 29 12 12
Fax: +34 984 39 06 12
E-mail: martin.alvarez at fundacionctic.org