[ckan-discuss] Renaming ckan.net to thedatahub.org

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Fri Jun 24 09:59:29 BST 2011

On 24 June 2011 20:59, Jo Walsh <jo.walsh at ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 23/06/2011 16:54, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>
>> This is the pad from last discussion of this:
>>
>> <http://ckan.okfnpad.org/meta>
>>

> Just a quick comment - Anja came up to me at a poster session to say "Have
> you put the data in CKAN?" or "Is it in CKAN?"
>
> So the new name should work with the same phrasing - thus i'm not sure
> about the 'the' in the domain ("is it in the data hub?" which data hub?)

This is the inherent problem with descriptive trade marks. It's why it's
very difficult to register "Wallington Plumbers" as a trade mark.
Descriptive marks are incapable of being meaningful for consumers. Legally,
the phrase is that they're incapable of acting as badges of origin.

Going back to Rufus' point though, yes I think that pad is where the naming
ideas should be shared.