[ckan-discuss] First post...

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon May 9 12:44:02 BST 2011

On 8 May 2011 19:18, Daniel Smith <opened.to at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the welcomes and all the responses last week, all.
>
> Just one more general question then?
>
> Just to get the idea of the layout of where/how such data software is evolving,
> can anyone point to any other "competitors", so to speak, similar in task or
> mission to ckan?

I've started a page here:

<http://wiki.ckan.net/Related_Software>

There's also this page here:

<http://wiki.civiccommons.org/Data_Platform>

> I see so much mention of "the cloud" computing lately, much of it seems to
> be oriented to ready, "open" access to data, each in their own version, though,
> of course, Microsoft, etc etc.
>
> I assume Google is working on this also? I know for example of Freebase which
> was started partly by Stefano Mazzocchi which seemed largely about filtering or
> reconciling metadata, which was acquired by Google.
> http://www.freebase.com/

Google have the Public Data Explorer where you can upload data in
Google's DSPL (see http://wiki.ckan.net/Data_Formats). However, this
isn't really intended to be a place to store or catalog datasets (it's
intended to be somewhere to visualize them).

> Could anyone point out to how ckan
> would differ (or not) to other software? Perhaps a comparison has already been
> done already? Any background would be very helpful.

I think it would be worth adding a feature matrix to:

<http://wiki.ckan.net/Related_Software>

I'll aim to have a go but it won't be until later this week so (please
feel free to jump in yourself).