[ckan-discuss] First post...

Daniel Smith opened.to at gmail.com
Sun May 8 19:18:29 BST 2011

Thanks for the welcomes and all the responses last week, all.

Just one more general question then?

Just to get the idea of the layout of where/how such data software is evolving,
can anyone point to any other "competitors", so to speak, similar in task or
mission to ckan?

I see so much mention of "the cloud" computing lately, much of it seems to
be oriented to ready, "open" access to data, each in their own version, though,
of course, Microsoft, etc etc.

I assume Google is working on this also? I know for example of Freebase which
was started partly by Stefano Mazzocchi which seemed largely about filtering or
reconciling metadata, which was acquired by Google.
http://www.freebase.com/

Could anyone point out to how ckan
would differ (or not) to other software? Perhaps a comparison has already been
done already? Any background would be very helpful.
Again, great week, all...
Daniel Smith
Houston