[ckan-discuss] CKAN Weekly Roundup

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Mon May 16 15:10:16 BST 2011

To help you stay up to date with what is happening with CKAN:

Your Weekly Roundup from the CKAN team (also posted at:
http://ckan.org/2011/05/16/ckan-roundup-week-beginning-16th-may-2011/)

## From the Team Meeting:

- David Read has been getting the buildbot to build the debian
packages of CKAN and starting to get the installation tested using
Virtual Machines. CKAN already has extensive unit and functional
testing, and now we’re focussing on testing the deployment.
DGU form. This is the end of a large refactor which will make life
easier for developers. Its intention is to make sure all ‘business
rules’ are in a central place and that all the interfaces (eg api, web
ui) go through it.

- A discussion in going on as to how we allow moderation of package
metadata in CKAN. We aim to get the user experience correct for both
community editors and the moderators. We are also trying to work
through the technical issues around doing this.

- Jason Kitcat is working on bringing LOD2 and CKAN projects closer
together to avoid duplication of effort.

- Seb Bacon attended FutureEverything, a conference about digital
innovation, which had a strand called Open Data Cities. He also
attended a meeting of the steering group for DataGM, a data catalogue
for Data GM that we helped deliver using CKAN. The project is proving
to be a really successful model for collaboration between different
public bodies and has generated lots of momentum. Plans were discussed
for allowing data to be hosted within CKAN, talked about integrating
with InstantAtlas server, geographic data, and how to improve data
quality.

## From the blog:

- Storage extension for CKAN:
http://ckan.org/2011/05/16/storage-extension-for-ckan/
- Pre OKCon CKAN workshop Announced:
http://ckan.org/2011/05/12/pre-okcon-ckan-workshop/

## From Twitter:

StevenWalling: My @Wikimedia colleagues and I are thinking about how
best to publish #opendata from our research. I lean toward CKAN. What
do you think?

bymerej: @StevenWalling don’t see license info for CKAN either?

StevenWalling: @bymerej ckan.net has a variety of licenses, but it’s
FOSS so you can also self-host under any license.

rufuspollock: @acka47 do we know of any #openbiblio datasets not in
http://ckan.net/group/bibliographic (e.g. latest swedish release?)
#ckan

acka47: @rufuspollock I don’t. Do you have any details about the
swedish release? #openbiblio #ckan

If you have some CKAN-related news that you would like me to include -
please simply email me!

Best wishes,

Lucy

--