[ckan-discuss] How is publicdata.eu website powered

Mehdi El Fadil mehdi.elfadil at mango-is.com
Tue May 17 10:41:45 BST 2011

Hi,

Actually

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Friedrich Lindenberg <
friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi Mehdi,
>
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:34 PM, Mehdi El Fadil
> <mehdi.elfadil at mango-is.com> wrote:
> > ckan.net and its api looks to be more usable to me to directly get data
> in
> > json format, but unfortunately the attributes that I am looking for such
> as
> > the places (spatial) seem to be missing.
>
> This is only partially true: CKAN has a core set of dataset properties
> which contain neither temporal nor spatial metadata of any useful
> details. CKAN packages can, however, have arbitrary metadata extras
> which can be added by the user or put into an extended form by the
> instance manager. To see an example of a package with geospatial
> metadata, have a look at this JSON representation from data.gov.uk:
> http://catalogue.data.gov.uk/api/rest/package/ecn-bird-data - it has a
> bounding box and various other extra pieces of information.
>
> you are right, spatial metadata are sometimes present there.

> > What I am looking forward to create is an alternative web UI. In case
> > neither the reduced json or solr results are directly fetchable, then I
> > should manage to extract data from n3 format.
>
> Cool, tell me about the UI you're planning - perhaps we can work
> together on this? We're going to do another push on pd.eu very soon
> and it'd be interesting to hear about your ideas. We could also give
> you read access to the solr index, but I don't know how
> well-maintained this will be after pd.eu's migration to CKAN.

I am actually planning to submit the UI to the open data challenge, so I
guess I should work on it independently from okfn. I have ideas for a
different way of doing faceted browsing, filtering and interactive
navigation. I will keep you in touch when it gets ready, then after the
competition yes we may work together on this, this part of my project should
be free and open source in any case.

Regards,

Mehdi