[ckan-discuss] Geographic Metadata

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon May 23 10:09:59 BST 2011

On 22 May 2011 06:26, Tim McNamara <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz> wrote:
> I'm most of the way through moving the data catalogues at
> opengovernmentdata.org to CKAN.
> I think that we should have some geographic metadata conventions which are
> greater than the country list we currently have. Specifically, I think that
> we should have a continental reference as well as the ability to have
> narrower regions.
> As a first shot, how about
>   - region => continental
>   - locality => county, province, etc
>
> I chose region rather than continental areas as I think that is closer to
> its meaning in the world of inter-governmental organisations.

Several options, but simplest I'd suggest is having a single extras
field called 'location' into which we put geojson. The issue with this
is we can't edit the field directly in web user interface but we could
easily have a small bit javascript to turn this into a widget or
present it in some useful way (I actually started work on something
like this for ckanjs last week).

rufus