[ckan-discuss] Geographic Metadata

Adrià Mercader amercadero at gmail.com
Mon May 23 12:09:03 BST 2011

> Several options, but simplest I'd suggest is having a single extras
> field called 'location' into which we put geojson.
It will be relatively easy to create a widget based on OpenLayers or
similar that displayed a map with the geojson location stored (and
allowed to edit it). The question is where this location information
comes from. I'm not sure most of the users will bother to draw the
point or bounding box on a map when creating a new package, so it we
would probably need to extract it from the textual representation of
the location, using a geolocation service. So we could have two
extras:
* location-text: (e.g. Durham, United Kingdom)
* location: <geojson representation>

Or even three, if we use another one to store a Linked Data link to
geonames or similar

Adrià