[ckan-discuss] Geographic Metadata

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon May 23 12:16:51 BST 2011

2011/5/23 Adrià Mercader <amercadero at gmail.com>:
>> Several options, but simplest I'd suggest is having a single extras
>> field called 'location' into which we put geojson.
> It will be relatively easy to create a widget based on OpenLayers or
> similar that displayed a map with the geojson location stored (and
> allowed to edit it). The question is where this location information
> comes from. I'm not sure most of the users will bother to draw the
> point or bounding box on a map when creating a new package, so it we
> would probably need to extract it from the textual representation of
> the location, using a geolocation service. So we could have two
> extras:

My starting work was using geonames but also thought about unlock
(unlock delivers geojson while geonames does not seem to ...)

> * location-text: (e.g. Durham, United Kingdom)
> * location: <geojson representation>

geojson can include a title attribute i thought so we could store this
there. Alternatively, based on my experience in other projects, we can
have location-unparsed and location attribute.

> Or even three, if we use another one to store a Linked Data link to
> geonames or similar

Nice idea.