[ckan-discuss] Should we ask researchers for citations or provide guidance on citations?

William Waites ww at styx.org
Tue May 24 10:46:04 BST 2011

Some related thoughts on this from opb,

  http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/opb/papers/ssdbm2006.pdf

-w

* [2011-05-24 10:30:06 +0100] David Read <david.read at okfn.org> écrit:

] I think some sort of citation helper would be a good thing - we've had
] some other interest in this.
]
] How about something small on the package page that could open-up to
] provide citations to copy and paste?
]
] I agree that there are various use cases, with someone wanting to
] refer to the metadata in CKAN or one of the  and resources (although
] surely they'd just refer to the URL in the resource instead?). We
] could also add a timestamp, or revision ID in the link, perhaps as an
] alternative to the 'Accessed on 31/5/11' bit.
]
] I understand there are various exacting standards for citations, but I
] would have thought the key thing is to suggest the idea and make it
] easy access to the key information required for whatever format the
] user needs.
]
] Anyone else with thoughts on this?
]