[ckan-discuss] Should we ask researchers for citations or provide guidance on citations?

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Tue May 24 10:30:06 BST 2011

I think some sort of citation helper would be a good thing - we've had
some other interest in this.

How about something small on the package page that could open-up to
provide citations to copy and paste?

I agree that there are various use cases, with someone wanting to
refer to the metadata in CKAN or one of the  and resources (although
surely they'd just refer to the URL in the resource instead?). We
could also add a timestamp, or revision ID in the link, perhaps as an
alternative to the 'Accessed on 31/5/11' bit.

I understand there are various exacting standards for citations, but I
would have thought the key thing is to suggest the idea and make it
easy access to the key information required for whatever format the
user needs.

Anyone else with thoughts on this?

David