[ckan-discuss] CKAN suggestions

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Thu Nov 24 10:48:06 GMT 2011

On 23 November 2011 20:50, Augusto Herrmann <augusto.herrmann at gmail.com>wrote:

> IMHO, both a controlled vocabulary and flexible folksonomy tags are useful
> and can coexist in harmony. As Morville & Rosenfeld put it on their
> Information Achitecture book [1], "on some projects, we'll have the
> opportunity to bridge the gap, using both tags and taxonomies to connect
> users with the content they seek."

Great to hear it, and interesting point of view in the book too. Anyone
else interested in having a controlled vocabulary? I guess it's going to be
more attractive to the the governments and institutions with data
catalogues they have a bit more control over populating and idea of how
they want them categorised.

> In December I shall take some days off work, and a side-project I'm
> considering to undertake is building a simple python package, dependant on
> RDFLib, to ease the manipulation of SKOS data. That should make it easier
> to create a CKAN plugin for a controlled vocabulary that can import from
> SKOS.

This sounds v. useful! I guess for CKAN's initial purposes we just need URI
and English translation for each term, but other other properties could be
stored and exploited in extensions etc. in the future. It would be great to
make this multilingual from the start too.

David