[ckan-discuss] In which CKAN instance to describe a dataset?

William Waites ww at styx.org
Sun Oct 2 19:21:01 BST 2011

>>>>> "jm" == Jindřich Mynarz <mynarzjindrich at gmail.com> writes:

    jm> but now I'm thinking if I shouldn't move it to the Czech CKAN
    jm> instance [2]? Or would it make sense to have the dataset
    jm> catalogued in both instances? Should I import the dataset's
    jm> description from the Data Hub to Czech instance?

I think it should live in the Czech CKAN and be editable there but be
harvested and presented read-only in the main CKAN. It is probably
important that the harvesting mechanism be used so that things like the
package UUID are the same and we don't get into a deduplication mess in
the future. Having the metadata writeable in both places would be
difficult but not insurmountable exercise in distributed versioning,
best just to have the writeable version at the source.

Probably it might make sense for annotations made through the main CKAN
to get hooked to the original as well, but that's getting well ahead of
ourselves - I don't think CKAN particularly does much annotation yet...

Cheers,
-w

--
William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>