[ckan-discuss] In which CKAN instance to describe a dataset?

Jindřich Mynarz mynarzjindrich at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 08:27:51 BST 2011

Hi all,

I'm wondering in which CKAN instance should I catalogue a dataset
(create a package). For instance, the Polythematic Structured Subject
Heading System [1] is a bilingual (Czech-English) subject headings
system produced by the National Technical Library in Czech Republic.
Due to historical reasons I have created a description for this
dataset in the Data Hub but now I'm thinking if I shouldn't move it to
the Czech CKAN instance [2]? Or would it make sense to have the
dataset catalogued in both instances? Should I import the dataset's
description from the Data Hub to Czech instance?

So, the question is, what attributes of a dataset (e.g., language,
provenance) determine the choice of a CKAN instance in which this
dataset should be described? I know there probably aren't any hard and
fast rules, but I hope there may be some recommendations or best
practices.

Best,

Jindrich

[1] http://thedatahub.org/dataset/psh-subject-headings
[2] http://cz.ckan.net/

--
Jindrich Mynarz
National Technical Library, University of Economics, Prague