[ckan-discuss] Next steps on datacatalogs.org?

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Mon Oct 3 18:17:17 BST 2011

On 26 Sep 2011, at 17:01, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> A couple of feature requests for datacatalogs.org:
>
>  * Can we enable groups - so we can have, e.g. curated list of
> official data catalogues in UK, or across EU27, or in the US, or lists
> of data catalogues which use CKAN?

Both could be done quite nicely with tags?

Some sort of tag cloud that shows popular tags would be quite helpful to discover existing tags.

I know there's
http://datacatalogs.org/tag
although it's not linked from anywhere and not super useful right now.

>  * Is it possible to add something like 'resource' so we can add
> details of how to bulk download the metadata of a data catalogue?

A careful +1 from me. On the other hand I like how datacatalogs.org is very simple at the moment.

Speaking of feature requests. I really like the data catalogs map built by CTIC:
http://datos.fundacionctic.org/sandbox/catalog/map

(It seems to be somewhat broken right now, it's supposed to display a marker on the map for every data catalog they know of, and the markers don't show up for me. But you get the idea…)

I'm not sure if the information in datacatalogs.org is quite sufficient for doing something like that at the moment; I suppose one could use Google's geocoding API to obtain coordinates from the “spatial coverage text” field, and with a bit of additional curation…

Best,
Richard