[ckan-discuss] Next steps on datacatalogs.org?

Martin Alvarez-Espinar martin.alvarez at fundacionctic.org
Mon Oct 3 19:55:36 BST 2011

Hi Richard,

> Speaking of feature requests. I really like the data catalogs map built by CTIC:
> http://datos.fundacionctic.org/sandbox/catalog/map
>
> (It seems to be somewhat broken right now, it's supposed to display a marker on the map for every data catalog they know of, and the markers don't show up for me. But you get the idea…)
>
> I'm not sure if the information in datacatalogs.org is quite sufficient for doing something like that at the moment; I suppose one could use Google's geocoding API to obtain coordinates from the “spatial coverage text” field, and with a bit of additional curation…

The most complete visualization (a browser) is at:
http://datos.fundacionctic.org/sandbox/catalog/faceted/

We only need coordinates, but this can be obtained from a web service,
as you said. As usual, the problem is ambiguity of naming (i.e.,
Berlin is a city, but also a state). It's easy to represent a point on
a map, but not the spatial coverage.

Best regards,

Martin