[ckan-discuss] sudo apt-get install data-pkg

Pablo Mendes pablomendes at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 11:22:56 BST 2011

Folks,
I am wondering if CKAN could become the standard way to distribute bulk open
data, beyond its current role as leading metadata catalog for open data
sets.

I am thinking of a scenario where I'd host my downloads on my server, but
would add the metadata to CKAN to point to my files. A ckan-to-apt wrapper
would then allow me to do something like:

sudo add-apt-repository ckan.net/...
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dbpedia

Using dependency relationships would allow packages to pull each other, and
also allow software to indicate dependency on data (which is a real world
use case for DBpedia Spotlight, for example).

This could also increase adoption of CKAN as metadata catalog, as the added
value for creating an entry for your package increases.

Do you guys have already a better solution sketched for this scenario? Is
there some major gap that prevents this idea from becoming reality?

Cheers
Pablo