[ckan-discuss] Something for the Linked Data advocates?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Sep 8 15:36:17 BST 2011

On 8 September 2011 08:34, Tim McNamara <tim.mcnamara at okfn.org> wrote:
> It would be great if we could annotate packages at thedatahub.org that
> have a SPARQL endpoint with a tag indicating such.
>
> I haven't looked into things in much detail, but I notice that
> uberblic (http://ckan.net/package/uberblic) has a resource with
> "api/sparql" listed as a format. This is a bit of an extension of the
> term format. Perhaps we could work together to add a "sparql" tag to
> packages that have a SPARQL endpoint?

Just to clarify Resource format strings have long supported an 'api'
format, see docs at:

<http://wiki.ckan.net/Domain_Model/Resource#Resource_Format_Strings>

Personally I think the overloading and complexity of the format field
has grown too much and the plan to simplify as discussed earlier in
the year is to:

a) Introduce a 'kind or type' field for resources (see suggested
values in http://wiki.ckan.net/Domain_Model/Resource#Standard)

b) Add a mime-type field (and possibly mime-type-inner) field which
will be machine filled in leaving format to be a informal / free text
format string -- most users  don't know mime-types. We have also added
format autocomplete to assist with standardization