[ckan-discuss] thedatahub.org -> datahub.io

Tim Hubbard timjph at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 12:15:25 BST 2012

At 12:08 +0100 2/4/12, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>Wanted to ask here re idea of switching http://thedatahub.org to
>http://datahub.io (keeping thedatahub.org of course but it doing a
>redirect).
>
>Why?
>
>* "the" is always a problem (you have to tell people etc)
>* .io is no problem for the geek-ish community who will use the
>DataHub (atm anyway)
>* datahub.io matches our tags elsewhere more naturally (#DataHub,
>DataHub in links etc)
>* .io connects us to a broader audience (.org may put off more formal
>/ bigger organizatiosn)
>
>Why not?
>
>* .io causes similar problems to "the" (i.e. you have to tell people)
>* it is a bit obscure (?)
>
>What do people think?

dropping 'the' is sensible (like facebook), but I don't see a problem
staying with .org  [ensembl is at www.ensembl.org and lots of
organizations use our API]

I had never heard of .io before - I think its too obsure.  On
wikipedia it is also down as an official toplevel domain for a region
[British Indian Ocean Territory] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.io

Tim
Dr Tim Hubbard                         email: th at sanger.ac.uk
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute        Tel (direct): +44 1223 496886
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           Tel (switch): +44 1223 834244
Hinxton, Cambridgeshire. CB10 1SA.     Fax: +44 1223 496802