[ckan-discuss] Trouble installing CKAN

James McKinney james at opennorth.ca
Mon Aug 20 02:29:52 BST 2012

Switching gears a little, I'm now having a look at dataproxy. For the original issue that started this thread, try running: http://jsonpdataproxy.appspot.com/?url=https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/ckannet-storage/2012-08-18T163227/custom_qc_cmp_details.csv&type=csv You'll get the message "Data transformation failed. Reason: ". When I run the same API call on a local instance of the dataproxy, it works. I deployed the app to Google App Engine, ran the API call again, and got the same error as for jsonpdataproxy.appspot.com. If I check the logs in the App Engine dashboard, I see another message before the error:

"The file at https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/ckannet-storage/2012-08-18T170006/seao_details.csv has length 378"

That's the wrong length. It's the wrong length because dataproxy only follows a single redirect, but when getting files on Google Storage from App Engine, there may be sometimes more than one redirect (and indeed, in other contexts too). I've written a pull request to use a redirect limit instead of a simplistic "one redirect" rule: https://github.com/okfn/dataproxy/pull/7

However, that doesn't solve the problem. Getting the wrong content length isn't what causes the error. I removed the try/catch around "result = transformer.transform()" to see what the exception is. It's line "handle = urllib2.urlopen(self.url)" that throws <class 'google.appengine.api.urlfetch_errors.ResponseTooLargeError'>. The maximum response size is 32MB. See https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/urlfetch/overview#Quotas_and_Limits

I've created a pull request to make the error messages more useful, so that it's clearer when there is a App Engine platform error: https://github.com/okfn/dataproxy/pull/9

Not being able to use Data Preview on files larger than 32MB isn't great. Is there a plan to host dataproxy on a server that doesn't impose this arbitrary limit? Or maybe switch to a different strategy for getting data into Recline?

While going through all this, I notice that dataproxy adds a separator argument to brewery's CSVDataSource to support TSV, but brewery already has that with the excel-tab dialect. My pull request concerning that is here: https://github.com/okfn/dataproxy/pull/8

I also notice that dataproxy ignores characters that it can't read as UTF-8: https://github.com/okfn/dataproxy/commit/945bd1b0a486df64f254b2fbc7bb8b525d69e36e It'd be better to at least transliterate them to preserve some sense to the data. Unfortunately App Engine doesn't have Iconv, which allows setting both "translit" and "ignore" flags. Given that App Engine also doesn't support large files, maybe we should reconsider hosting dataproxy on App Engine?

James