[ckan-discuss] Installation options

Simon Whitehouse si at siwhitehouse.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 09:52:02 GMT 2012

Hello there

First post to the list, so hello, I'm Simon and I currently work in Digital
Birmingham. I've been asked to look at open data platforms for the city and
so have spent a bit of time looking at ckan recently after chatting to Mark
Wainwright at UK Gov Camp last month.

I've been following the package installation instructions here:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/install-from-package.html

and firstly chose to install to Amazon EC2. That went really well, but the
small version is going to cost me $1/day and I'd rather not pay that. I've
installed ckan under a virtual machine, but that is quite painfully slow on
the machine I have to use for it.

I did see that there had been a discussion previously about creating an
Amazon ami file for the micro EC2 instance and I wondered if that had got
anywhere. There are a number of reasons why I'd rather use the Amazon
install, not least that I can deploy it for others to see a lot better than
on a virtual machine running under Windows.

Any advice that people can give will be much appreciated.

All the best
Simon