[ckan-discuss] Installation options

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Feb 15 10:17:41 GMT 2012

On 15 February 2012 09:52, Simon Whitehouse <si at siwhitehouse.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello there

Welcome.

> First post to the list, so hello, I'm Simon and I currently work in Digital
> Birmingham. I've been asked to look at open data platforms for the city and
> so have spent a bit of time looking at ckan recently after chatting to Mark
> Wainwright at UK Gov Camp last month.
>
> I've been following the package installation instructions here:
>
> http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/install-from-package.html
>
> and firstly chose to install to Amazon EC2. That went really well, but the
> small version is going to cost me $1/day and I'd rather not pay that. I've
> installed ckan under a virtual machine, but that is quite painfully slow on
> the machine I have to use for it.
>
> I did see that there had been a discussion previously about creating an
> Amazon ami file for the micro EC2 instance and I wondered if that had got
> anywhere. There are a number of reasons why I'd rather use the Amazon
> install, not least that I can deploy it for others to see a lot better than
> on a virtual machine running under Windows.

Just to clarify, is the reason you can't use the micro is because we
build for 32-bit? If so I would imagine (though could be wrong) that
you could install the 32-bit on 64-bit architecture without anything
going wrong (we may need to rebuild CKAN as no-arch but that shouldn't
be too hard).

@James: could you comment on this?

Rufus

> Any advice that people can give will be much appreciated.
>
> All the best
> Simon

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation