[ckan-discuss] CKAN Wishlist

Augusto Herrmann augusto.herrmann at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 19:21:37 GMT 2012

Hi!

Here's our wishlist:

1) Subject field for selecting a preset subject from a hierarquical
subjects list, preferrably to be imported into CKAN from a SKOS format
file. David Read told me this was already being implemented, minus the
hierarquical part. This should entail: (a) an autocomplete widget for
the new/edit dataset forms, which would allow the person registering
or editing the dataset to select the most apropriate subject or
subjects related to the dataset; and (b) search capability by subjects
on the list - this could be by creating a view for subjects just like
the exisiting one for tags, which would list all datasets for a given
subject under an URL such as '/subject/<slug>'. This subject listing
page should also appear on search results that match the subject's
label.

2) In the new/edit dataset forms, Author / Maintainer fields should
autocomplete from existing authors on the CKAN database, and also,
optionally, from a fixed list preset by the CKAN instance
administrator. Other contact details should be automatically pulled
from those as well.

3) Internationalized labels and description fields. On every text
field related to datasets or resources, where natural language text
should go (e.g. titles, descriptions), there should be allowed to be
multiple labels in different languages, inserted by editors of the
dataset. That way, english language users of the data catalog would
see the dataset title and description in english. Users in other
languages would see the dataset labels and descriptions in their
selected language, if available.

By the way, if/when number 3 is implemented would be a good time to
move the datasets on br.ckan.net and other community instances back to
thedatahub.org and make an effort to translate their titles and
descriptions into english and other languages. That would be
fantastic!

Cheers,
Augusto Herrmann