[ckan-discuss] CKAN installation --- contradicting versions?

Uwe Geuder 2hsfka7m5g at snkmail.com
Tue May 8 18:18:46 BST 2012

Hi!

I'm currently installing CKAN on a CentOS 6 machine. I follow the
instructions at http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-1.6/install-from-source.html

In the step

$ pip install --ignore-installed -r pyenv/src/ckan/requires/lucid_missing.txt -r pyenv/src/ckan/requires/lucid_conflict.txt

I get

pyenv/lib/python2.6/site-packages/Tempita-0.5.1-py2.6.egg-info

i.e. tempita version 0.5.1.

Tempita is required by formalchemy:

$ grep -i tempita pyenv/lib/python2.6/site-packages/FormAlchemy-1.4.1-py2.6.egg-info/requires.txt
Tempita

Because there is no version specifed anywhere I get the newest one.

If I continue to step pyenv/src/ckan/requires/lucid_present.txt it
tells me that tempita should be version 0.4.

So a Lucid user using apt-get would end up with two tempita versions. 0.4
in the system path and 0.5.1 in the pyenv. CKAN would end up using the latter.

However, somebody using

pip install --ignore-installed -r pyenv/src/ckan/requires/lucid_present.txt

would end up downgrading tempita in the pyenv [1]

Am I missing something here or is there a contradiction?

If I assume that Lucid is a well-tested platform, people (at least
those who are installing now) use 0.5.1 and everything is fine.

So tempita==0.4 could just be removed from lucid_present list? But that
could of course break any day if there were a incompatible update in
tempita. On the other side for those using apt-get this is already the
case now, even if the have the fixed version installed it remains unused.

Could somebody please clarify how this is supposed to work? (My
installation is not complete yet, so I'm not sure whether this causes
any real issues. I just prefer to understand what I'm doing. With
nearly 30 packages trial and error without understanding what I'm
trying to achieve might take a long time.)

Regards,

Uwe Geuder
Nomovok Ltd.
Tampere, Finland
uwe.gxuder at nomovok.com (bot check: humans correct 1 obvious spelling error)

[1] Actually CentOS has tempita 0.4 packaged like Lucid. So I would
not need to install it using pip from the lucid_present.txt. Then I'd
end up in the same situation as Lucid users, 2 different versions of
tempita installed. Which brings up the same question again. Why do the
instructions tell me to install another one, which will not be used?