[ckan-discuss] 5 stars of openness and analytics

David Read david.read at hackneyworkshop.com
Fri Nov 16 17:25:32 GMT 2012

At data.gov.uk this week we're further exposing how our datasets stack up
against Tim Berners-Lee's 'Five Stars of Openness'. I've written a couple
of blog posts about what we hope to achieve:
http://data.gov.uk/blog/rating-the-datasets-how-many-stars
and how it works technically:
http://data.gov.uk/blog/5-stars-rating-algorithm

In addition we've developed a new Google Analytics module for openly
publishing monthly reports about user demographics, and which datasets and
publishers are getting most attention. We see this as somewhat
complementary to ckanext-googleanalytics, which focuses on showing resource
downloads. Try it out here: http://data.gov.uk/data/site-usage

These new features are all in beta, with more work to be done and we most
welcome feedback. The CKAN extensions that we have developed to achieve
this are on our Github page: https://github.com/datagovuk/ for all to use.