[ckan-discuss] CKAN install from source error on step 6

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Thu Sep 6 09:00:29 BST 2012

> I'm new to using CKAN and have been pleased to see the list is active!
>
> During a CKAN local install from
> source<http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/install-from-source.html>on
> Ubuntu 12.04, specifically on the Create
> Database Tables<http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/install-from-source.html#create-database-tables>command
> (step 6):
>
> paster --plugin=ckan db init
>

> Entering that commands returns this error (full
> traceback<http://snipt.org/vGaj3>):
>

> ImportError: No module named sqlalchemy
>
> Adding a print sys.path to one of the files it hits shows that paster seems
> to somehow be knocking sqlalchemy off the Python path, despite it being
> there for the virtualenv where I've set up CKAN. sqlachemy also appears on
> the path when I run sys.path in the Python interpreter in the virtualenv.
>
> Anyone have this problem before and know a good solution?

It sounds like you might be running a system-wide copy of paster rather
than a copy of paster from your virtualenv. What does `which paster`
tell you when your virtualenv is active? If it prints a paster outside
of your virtualenv, then you need to install paster in the virtualenv,
pip install PasteScript with the virtualenv active should do it.