[ckan-discuss] Citations in CKAN

Ross Jones ross.jones at okfn.org
Tue Sep 11 22:07:19 BST 2012

Hello,

It's recently come up that someone has asked for citations on dataset pages in CKAN.  Whilst we're discussing the exact citation format I added a section to the dataset page on the datahub (see Cite this section on http://datahub.io/dataset/afterfibre).  It's likely that the link in the citation will also at some point contain the specific revision of the dataset (which is normally accessible via /dataset/name at revision_id) but beyond that nothing has been decided about how this should be implemented.  There was a previous conversation on the topic at http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/ckan-discuss/2011-May/001236.html.

I think the best approach is to use the data hub as a place where we can refine the citations before we move it into CKAN itself, either as part of the new templates or as part of the component that also allows sharing via twitter etc.

If you have any suggestions, feedback or ideas relating to citations it would be great to hear them. I can't guarantee they'll get implemented immediately, but it should certainly be possible to point an interested volunteer in the right direction in the meantime.

Regards

Ross