[ckan-discuss] CKAN and Microsoft SQL Server

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jan 4 13:22:04 GMT 2013

Hi Aaron,

I'm not as expert as some of my colleagues but almost all of CKAN uses
the SQLAlchemy database abstraction library and SQLAlchemy supports MS
SQL Server: http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_0_8/core/engines.html#microsoft-sql-server

Thus there is a good chance CKAN will "just work" out of the box if
you set the DB to MS SQL.

That said I do believe the DataStore part of CKAN [1] does have some
Postgresql specific code but that may be fixable with a small amount
of tweaking (and the DataStore is an optional component).

[1]: http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/datastore.html

Rufus

PS: a last item: for general Q&A questions re CKAN we recommend using
StackOverflow with the CKAN tag
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/ckan

On 2 January 2013 15:11, Aaron Barkhurst
<aaron.barkhurst at matricresearch.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I writing with a question about using CKAN with a Microsoft SQL Server
> database rather than PostgreSQL. I know CKAN does not "officially" support
> MS SQL Server out of the box, but does anyone have any experiencing with a
> CKAN instance using MS SQL Server for the database? If so, is there much, if
> any, custom code/patch work that needs to be done for this to work? If
> anyone could please glean any information, shortcomings, issues, experience,
> suggestions, etc. with this type of setup, I would gratefully appreciate it.
>
> Gratefully,
>
> Aaron

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation