[ckan-discuss] "Permanence" of the data: how can CKAN help me ?

Mark Wainwright mark.wainwright at okfn.org
Tue Jan 22 13:38:57 GMT 2013

Sean's answers assume, of course, that the metadata has changed as
well as the data. If CKAN has a resource which links to a data file
somewhere else, and the data file changes, it will never know.
However, if you're aiming for data permanence as quoted, presumably
this would never happen: rather a new file of data would be released.
A natural way to handle this in CKAN would be to add an extra resource
to the dataset for each new release of data (e.g. each year's data),
which will show up as an update for anyone who is 'following' the
dataset.

The dataset description and resource descriptions can be used to give
details of the structure of the data and indicate if it's changed.

Mark