[ckan-discuss] CKAN 2.0 faceted search with ajax-solr

Alex Byrnes alexbyrnes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 18:27:27 GMT 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 3:24 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>wrote:

> On 22 January 2013 02:57, Alex Byrnes <alexbyrnes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Okfn,
> >
> > Hi again.  I hope everything is going well over on that side of the
> > atlantic.  I've been working on a project you might be interested in.
>  I'm
> > calling it pico-ckan.  It's a modular ckan clone that's basically a
> search
> > component modeled after CKAN 2.0 but using ajax-solr
> > (https://github.com/evolvingweb/ajax-solr) so it doesn't have any
> > dependencies other than a solr endpoint, and recline for visualizations.
>
> You're aware recline has basic solr support (and that extending it
> would be very easy) -- this would drop your dependencies here ...
>
> Yes, true.  I wanted something that would fit into the structure of a site
outside recline.   Using ajax solr has some benefits too.  There's a fairly
abstract widget library that comes with it.  I extended
"AbstractFacetWidget."

> For a cms I'm using django with mongodb but it's only used for some basic
> > crud operations on the data.  Most of the functionality comes from the
> two
> > very pluggable components on top: ajax-solr and recline.  It could
> easily be
> > built into another cms or using another database (one of the django
> > databases would be easy with the existing code).  I have found mongo to
> be
> > very good for metadata, especially when combining metadata from different
> > hubs.  All of the solr synchronization is done with mongo-connector
> > (https://github.com/10gen-labs/mongo-connector).
>
> We have done a very lightweight pure HTML + JS catalog in the past:
> https://github.com/okfn/datacatalog.js
>
> Yes and I'm very interested in that, especially getting
people evangelized on well formed interfaces (the api being number one but
there are other useful interfaces).

> > I've also started using jinja2, and the ckan css because we're both
> using a
> > lot of bootstrap components.  I used several of the templates straight
> from
> > ckan 2.0.  I'm hoping there are other cross borrowing opportunities as
> we go
> > along.  Jinja is turning out to be an improvement over genshi so I
> applaud
> > your choice there.  The templates look very cleaned up too.  Cheers for
> the
> > great work as usual.
>
> This all sounds really interesting. Do keep the list updated!
>
> > The part you might be interested in is the faceted search.  If it would
> help
> > to have it split out from the main project please let me know.  I'd be
> glad
> > to make it more useful to you all as you see fit.
>
> That would definitely be nice - as I say recline has a solr component
> and has facets support already (though it could do with further
> improvements). That might be a sweet spot for improving things.
>
> So on that topic, if you were to put out a wishlist, or "call for
contributions" to the ckan environment what would be in there?  Is there a
general area of improvement that you'd like to see others take on?

Cheers, hope to keep the lines open as you said.

Alex